If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

02 September 2005

10,000 kilometers

... is what my odometer read tonight, on the button, when I pulled into my driveway. 3 1/2 weeks on the road, and it hit me: I have 'lived' out of a suitcase for nearly 5 full months. I leased that poor little car with just 3 km on it, and I have put on 10,000 km in 4 1/2 months, and 6000 of that was in the last 3 weeks. Whew!

Now, don't get me wrong, that was part of the deal, and I knew it going in. HOWEVER, being 'temporary' for so long simply does something not-so-good to your psyche, not to mention all your other life routines (gym, eating habits, massage/pedicure routines, you name it ... ALL out of whack!) I'm a shadow of my normal self: Edgy. Tired. Stressed. Less fun. I care less than I normally do about things that used to really matter to me, or at least that I used to have the energy to fight over. I'm easily 40 lbs heavier than I should be; which, it's fair to say, is at least 15 lbs heavier than I NORMALLY am ('cuz really, I'm not one of those waify chippies who is always at my 'fighting weight', and that's usually just perfectly fine with me --- thought getting this far beyond my own normal comfortably curvy self, now THAT's an issue.) I chalk THAT up to the five months without routine.

But that has all changed, thankfully, yesterday. I returned and The Diplomat & Renaissance Artist have FINALLY left for Cairo, leaving the (admittedly heavy!) mantle of Covivole on my shoulders to carry forward. I did do a little dance around the empty house singing 'it's mine, all mine'!!!! yesterday when I got back.

Yes, I've missed you all, out there, in blogville. Have a gazillion stories to share, of travels hither and yon with some delightful companions and other not-so-delightful ones --- and I'll do just that, when I'm not so completely knackered (to borrow a phrase from my British friends). I promise I'll be perky and witty and quippy and entertaining ... tomorrow. Tonight, I just need a good night's sleep in what appears to be my own bed. With borrowed sheets on it, but THAT's a story for the next edition.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

again, welcome back to blogworld...but more importantly..enjoy YOUR HOME SWEET HOME!

virgin blogger

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home