If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

21 December 2005

The stockings are hung by the chimney with care

Sorry I've been the absent blogger the past week other than that last waaaaaaaaaaay too wordy diatribe. Seriously, playing chief elf has left me empty of witty observations, much less time to record them.

T-minus fourteen hours til arrivals, and we're pretty well good to go...

* Cleaned sheets and towels (dried with my imported, scent-free Bounce dryer sheets.)
* Bought snow chains for Simon. (Are you KIDDING me?!?! I live somewhere that I need SNOW CHAINS?)
* Called to order more GPL fuel for the bombolone. (Cold is bad.)
* Crossing my fingers that the quarter tank I have left will not die on Christmas day.
* Did Laura Ingalls proud by hauling and stacking firewood.
* Gleefully filled my steel 10 L container with olive oil from the farm next door. (How Italian did THAT feel!?!)
* Stocked enough alcohol to pickle ourselves.
* Hand stuffed blue cheese olives for UBlend. (It's the little things that make it feel like home.)
* Have Tombola and 'Urn of Fate' (apparently real Italian) games at the ready.
* The stockings that are now hung by the chimney with care were imported from a friendly saint in The Netherlands because all the ones I found here were reeeeeealllly cheap and cheezy. And as I've always said, I may be easy, but I'm not cheap.
* Ordered the filets for beef wellington.
* Bought a backup turkey when it was only 6 Euros at Esselunga today. Good to pick at for sandwiches even if the beef wellington turns out okay.
* Chucked batch number three of ruined homemade christmas toffee and spent $70 at the most luscious, expensive chocolatier in town. Which is what I should have done to begin with. Julia f***ing Child I am not.
* As a result of the experience above, asked a real Italian to make the Tiramisu for Christmas dessert.

And so, despite the mountains of year-end work to be done, I am actually taking vacation. I have more than 5 weeks currently unused, how very un-European of me(!), and I need to shut my brain down for a while.

Let the festivity begin!

To all of you ... friends out there in blogland, lurkers and commenters, thanks for being here. It's a whole heck of a lot more fun writing knowing people are reading. I wish you all the merriest, happiest, solsticey, smiley, shiny-happy-people wonderful end-of-2005.

Santa, baby, slip a martini under the tree for me. I'm seriously looking forward to that Christmas day nap.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a marinaio domandantesi, the winds blew me somewhere else this year but know I wish all well - I will pull into port to open up the hatches around 2am cst

Merry Christmas

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry, Merry! I have been mia for a bit in the midst of my own holiday prep. Hope you had a wonderful x-mas. I hope the gift arrived in plenty of time and you found a place to display it.
Miss you,
Unassuming Princess

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home