If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

18 May 2006

Throw me a bone

Today - May 18 - is the one year anniversary of the day I got on a plane. With two really really heavy suitcases and the rest of my belongings either sold or floating in a container somewhere in the Atlantic.

I started this here blog, this story of the adventure, partly for me: to record the magic in the little moments. But also partly for you: to keep in touch. To acknowledge that experiences are only meaningful when they are shared. So you could be a witness, a virtual traveler on the journey. So many people said, "gosh, I'm so jealous ... if life were different..." But really, don't we all say that? I, in turn, live vicariously through the emailed pictures of your childrens' birthdays, your vacation postcards, emails detailing your promotions and moves. You stop in here every now and again to visit and see what life in Tuscany - daily life, not the 7-day vacation plan - is really like, or maybe just to marvel at the slightly crazy girl behind the glass.

So, for heavens sake, where ARE you people? Would it kill ya to leave a comment now and again?!?!
To review: comments are free and don't cause bad things to happen to you. You can be totally anonymous if you like, or you can pick your own nickname (or heck, you can use your own name if you want -- though I don't, as you know! Try anonymity on for size, it's kind of intoxicating.) You don't have to sign up for a Blogger profile, nothin'. Don't know what to say? If you don't know me, tell me where you're from. Or tell me how you found "If not now, when?". Or tell us a joke, or what color underwear you're wearing. Anything! Now I know how Radio deejays feel: wondering if there's anyone out there actually HEARING this stuff.

The funny thing is that - though the miracles of technology - I know you're out there: hundreds (though not quite yet thousands) of you, which REALLY amazes me, to be honest. For many of you, I know I'm your "first blog" experience: It's okay; I'll be gentle. You don't have to drink the koolaid.

To frequent readers AND commenters, you rock my very-small world. To those of you who send emails instead of commenting, I love the personal interaction more anyhow. And to those of you who lurk, and read, and laugh, and cry right along with me ... and then when I run into you somewhere, mention how much you love my blog... yes, you: wouldya throw me a comment bone every now and again?

And of course, the mouse in me will keep pushing the lever, because the reward of a comment-pellet comes out -- occasionally -- and unpredictably, a gift from the blog-o-sphere. Thanks for being here. For being the reason this makes sense. For witnessing, even if silently.

Happy anniversary to me!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though it's been awhile since I commented, please know that I've been a faithful reader of your journey this past year. I will try harder to 'interact' with you and your blog. To you, I raise my martini glass and say "Happy Anniversary"

Virgin Blogger

PS. the answer is 'black thong'...of course!!!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Viaggiatore said...

VB: girlie, you crack me up. I knew we were soul sisters! We're soooo long overdue for a martinis, perfectly-coiffed hair, and black thongs party. Please, please, please tell me you're thinking about coming to Boston in June?? xoxo, V.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well happy anniversary to you! And how best to celebrate an anniversary? Perhaps grab a roll of Life Savers, pop in that copy of Tango & Cash...oh, perhaps not as much fun unless with the right company. Even if you are wearing a black thong.

Daisy Boy

P.S. "Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's something pretty unusual."
- Bill Murray in Stripes

3:03 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Color me guilty. I'm a lurker.

I really enjoy reading about your experiences and feel as if I know you, which of course I don't. But the sign of a good writer is that you make me think I do.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Viaggiatore said...

Welcome to the party, Cupcake! I do believe you're the first self-identified baked goods here in our little web community. And really, what party *isn't* better with cupcakes?!?

Thanks for being here, for the compliments (always happily welcome,) and for boldly leading the lurker charge.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, we read you. Sure we check in every now and then. Sure, we'll shoot you a bone.. and a big hunk of wild [if not wilde] beast surrounding it. Your blog is wunderbar: it's interesting; it's entertaining; it's beautifully written. I think it's your book, if you want to know the truth ... and, heaven knows, I couldn't wish you better. True dat.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! you know we love you and look forward to your every blog andf I am nott kidding. Linda B

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

I am out here in the world of "what ifs". I am glad you are living it.
Take care

2-handshakes

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Reading you, and enjoying it, for the first time because Judith wrote that she's due to visit with you today. I'd love to meet up sometime. Maybe the expats GTG? Happy anniversary!

Alison

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there now, all these comments should make you feel better! Happy anniversary! And thanks for making time to write about your thoughts, feelings, and adventures so that I can live vicariously through you. I love that you still take big leaps when others are too afraid to do more than cautious steps. I'm proud of you!
-JillyBean

5:01 PM  
Blogger Viaggiatore said...

Aw, shucks. Thanks to all those of you who followed directions and took 30 seconds of your time to drop a line. You're good scouts! Place gold star on your fridge now with my eternal gratitude and warm fuzzy thoughts.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't realize it was your anniversary! Congratulations! Okay, so I'm about a week late but since you're on Italian time technically I'm only 6 days and 12 hours late. So here is my obligatory bone. Miss you, girl!

N.Winkust

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home