If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

26 May 2006

Now what, Mr. genius IT guy??

This would not happen in my office in America.

My printer is out of order. Sigh.

It is out of order because a giant green beetle flew into the paper feeder. I saw it happen; he bbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzed in through the open window, and plopped right into the slot. (Reason #2 to sleep with my mouth closed.)

I tried to rescue him with tweezers, but he got spooked. A petulant child now, he will not come out, indeed he has burrowed deep inside where I can no longer see him.

I'm no etymologist (oh, golly, I'm atwitter with the opportunity just to use THAT word in a sentence), but when beetles get scared, they play dead. I have no idea how long it might be before he un-deads himself, and finds a way to crawl out (it's been 2 hours already). And short of cancelling my dinner tonight to hold a beetle exit vigil, there's no way for me to know. And so I wait, and hope that the next time I try a print job, there's no crrrrruuunnnnch as the paper feeds in.

I picked the whole thing up and shook it upside down a few times, to no avail. The darling men at my computer store in the piazza will think I did finally catch the bus to crazytown when I try to explain THIS one.

No, this would NOT happen in America. But it's a laugh a minute here:
Yes, I'll probably have to buy a new printer...

(wait for it!)

... mine has a bug.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact, such a thing could happen in America. In my days of living on campus and dealing with roaches (all residence halls in the mid-to-southern states have them) a relatively small one crawled right on in. I saw him do it as well - bugs must like an audience. After similar attempts to prod, tweeze and shake him out I simply printed a test page. There was the expected crunch and bug pieces parts spread across the paper. After a dozen pages or so the printer was cleaned out and has opporated fine ever since.

DaisyBoy

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is funny!!
LB

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home