If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

20 May 2006

Tick, tock, tick, tock

There's not a ton that I really miss about Washington DC. After living there for 12 years, that feels a little strange to admit.

What I *do* miss is being a part of the action when something big is going down. This month, I'm a million miles from that "action". (Okay, only six thousand miles or so.) I got an email from the day job this week telling me that, if I didn't object, the CBS evening news wanted to use my office to film a segment. (!!!)

By way of explanation: the day job is heavily involved in the immigration debates currently raging in the US Senate. And one of my very best friends in the world, The Old Soul, happens to be our oh-so-capable spokesmonkey and, if I may say so, a minor celebrity / player of sorts in said discussion. (When we would walk home together, it was not unusual for him to be interrupted to take a call from Senator so-and-so. Me, I just live vicariously.) Anyhow, CBS did an interview as a part of their coverage of the story. And my office is waaaaaaay cleaner than his is (largely due to the fact that, well, I don't office there very frequently!)

I begged the gals I work to make sure there wasn't anything totally embarrassing sitting around before the shoot. Following, they sent over a few pics, and I was soooooo impressed. Because it was shot in my office, I'm sure that means those few minutes come off of my "15 minutes of fame" ticker, too. And I wasn't even there to appreciate it!


It will air early next week sometime, we think. I'm sure he was brilliantly articulate and stunningly handsome, and I'm nearly bursting with pride. My words of wisdom were encouraging, I'm sure: be sure to call for "Makeup!" at least once and end the interview saying, "That's a wrap. I'll be in my trailer..."

2 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

I grew up in the DC area and only miss it when I go back for visits. Being there - riding the subway, having all the restaurants and pubs to visit, seeing the monuments and buildings - makes me nostalgic. But sitting in the traffic? Not so much.

I agree with you that it's hardest being away when something exciting is happening. I always feel a tad wistful during presidential inaugurations.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you find out before hand when the segment will air please let us know so we all can watch him be his so eloquent self.
TCB

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home