If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

24 October 2005

Homesickness or Fatigue?

Hard to tell the difference. This past weekend was my first 'free' weekend... woohoo!!! So, I (wait for it...)

I slept 12 hours a night. (oh, yeah, I'm sure that my little town is on alert for the crazy american party girl!!) I was mildly concerned, but UBlend brushed it off today -- reminding me that the body has a funny way of getting what it needs.

True. I'm just thankful I'm not down with the flu.

I spent the 'waking hours' of the weekend clipping and prepping to dry stupid amounts of sage and rosemary from my garden (heaven knows I won't USE it all, but it looks cool and I feel virtuous for having done it), and evenings trying to deciper Italian television. There is a 3-hour marathon program on Saturday nights: 'C'e Posta Per Te' (literally, I think, we've got mail for you) -- where a scantily clad hostess brings in people who want to 'reconnect' with lost friends, parents, loves, blah-blah-blah through this whole ridiculous "the envelope please" format. Really bad drama, but good to learn the language, because the stories are easy to follow.

Although I have yet to be able to find a "TV guide" of any sort, I did discover (during a commercial for the posta show) that one of the TV channels runs Desperate Housewives (dubbed in Italian of course) Mondays at 9pm. LAMENESS ALERT: I just set my computer 'alarm' to prompt me at quarter to nine here, so I can whip up some pasta and take my dinner break with the ladies of Wisteria Lane.

Someday I will have lived here long enough to not know (or care) that this is not the current season, but today is not that day. Today, it's enough to watch something sort-of familiar (though I *do* hope it's an episode I haven't seen!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy,

I think you are just spent. Body, mind, soul...the whole thing. If sleeping 12 hours a night, watching tv and tracking Desperate Housewives means your homesick, than I must be homesick too. Wait a minute, I am home. I guess it must be normal then! At least you are drying herbs! I don't even have herbs!!!Unassuming Princess

4:05 PM  
Blogger Viaggiatore said...

Hey, thanks, Expats friend! This is exactly the info I needed... (you can tell I haven't LOOKED really hard yet for a guide, just wished one would appear next to my television set!) Maybe you can explain to me why Italian TV seems to follow the motto "if one hour is good, two is better"? (Even the Desperate Housewives last night, I think ran back - to - back episodes?!?) I watched it anyway, because the alternative was, I think, the Legend of Zorro? (Is this 1979 or WHAT?!) :) I clearly need satellite!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home