If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

02 November 2006

On Discipline

Hello, you.

Humbly, I realize that I've been a crappy blogger of late. And a pretty crappy friend, daughter, sister, employee. There are a thousand reasons for that, none of which matter to you in the least if you're lonely, bored, or just worried about me.

Thanks for the vibes. I'm okay; just... preoccupied. There's a word in Italian for "everything tossed up in the air": soqquadro, (which also is the only word in Italian with a double q, all ye trivia geeks out there), and my life is definitely soqquadro right at the moment.

I was going to start to apologize for that, and then decided not to. In the words of my very dear friend, Beatrice, "sometimes you've just gotta love what is." She's right. I've always been a 'play the hand you're dealt' kinda gal. And so, since the game is on, I have been WAY too self-absorbed to be of much use to you lately.

I'm sor.... (see? I try to say it and can't.) I find often that apologies are shallow and empty. The word "sorry" being one of the most-overused in the language, and therefore one of diminishing genuineness. In fact, I'm *not* sorry that I have been doing exactly what I need to do for my own sanity. It's nice to be missed, though. Sometimes, we just have to do differently and expect people to believe our actions.

And so, here goes. Yesterday was the First of November. Which was also, you may (probably!) not realize, the beginning of "National Blog Posting Month"... there's a whole cadre of my fellow bloggers out there that have pledged to post once a day for the entire month of November.

I'm not sure you can handle all that navel-gazing, nor am I remotely confident that I can be sufficiently entertaining, wise, or witty for that spectrum of time, but I'll give it a go. And if after a month, you're completely tired of me, well... that will make me sad, and perhaps I'll be sorry that I tried this. But we'll see. Come along, won't you? There are so many interesting things to talk about!

I have always wanted to be a more disciplined person; this seems like as good a time as any to get on that project. And if you like dropping by and reading things here, would you perhaps consider posting a topic starter or two in the comments section as a crutch when my distracted brain times out ...? I may be able to pull off disciplined; but disciplined AND creative? That's like beauty and brains ... they so rarely grace us simultaneously.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you have for lunch? Tell me about your weeds. How about how you heat your house? A totally hot italian dude from town? Little old italian ladies that you want to grow up and be like? Driving on the wrong side of the road? Books and movies you like and why. What comes in your mailbox? Favorite article of clothing. Will your dress your children up nicely, or will they look like little orphans like mine always do? Best dessert ever and why.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever think about having a "guest blogger" write an article. Like posting everyone's story of their initial meeting of you or the best three or whatever? Get's you off the hook for writing every day and still, a post for all to read.
-JillyBean

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about your "Best of" responses from your 7 Things post?
UP

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home