If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

15 December 2006

Just under three hours...

... since I'm sure you're wondering ... Is how long it takes one average-size woman with relatively small but mighty hands to stack 4 cubic meters (just over 141 cubic feet, according to my handy online conversion chart) of firewood.

Stacked in three separate locations, including 1/4 of it hauled up a full flight of stairs.

That's a looooooot of wood. Yes, I could have paid someone to do it ... (30Euros, to be exact), but stubborn, independent, and frugal me then would not have NEARLY the sense of satisfaction I do now, as I sit, dosed up on Advil and sipping a glass of wine, letting my hair dry in front of the most satisfying, blazing and crackling fire I think I've ever built.

My lower back and right thumb seem to have taken the most abuse. (My hand-wingspan, as it were, not quuuiiiiite wide enough for some of the logs.)

By the way, if you're out of stocking-stuffer ideas for friends, I highly recommend a really, really good pair of nice LEATHER workgloves that actually FIT. Mine are lifesavers.

I had a discussion with a friend recently about whether or not I would be able to build my own cabin in the woods (not 'shelter,' but actual cabin). I finally conceded that perhaps, from scratch, I might not be able to pull that entire task off without help, even WITH my beloved gloves and good tools. But when that cabin is needin' firewood stacked? Yeah, baby: I'm your girl.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gives me a smile, which I neded today, to think of you and your gloves working away.
LB

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home