If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

14 November 2006

On Ch-ch-ch-changes


While fall is my very favorite of all the seasons, as the days darken and the seasons change, I must admit that so does my spirit. It's always been this way. I turn inward, beginning the hibernation process.

"Seasonal Affective Disorder", carrying the pathetic and pithy acronym SAD. Sure, I can personally bear witness that this winter malaise is real. But geez, do we have to NAME everything?!?!? And who doesn't get a little depressed when there's more cold and less sunshine? I'm not talking medicateable here, just a little more reflective.

What's the answer? How to cope? As the trees silhoutte themselves against the greyed late fall sky, I turn to my preferred methods: Snuggling up under a down comforter or in front of a fireplace with a glass of wine and endlessly debateable questions about life. (Come join me, won't you?) I move a little slower, avoid the contrite trappings of the holidays as much as possible (aaah, the benefits of living in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving!) And I pare my life down to doing only what matters; less vague socializing - more time with true friends. Changes, transitions, made easier and less complicated.

And when the waning light is just right, or the candles and fireplace shadow me in exactly the right way, then I smile that quiet, content smile - the one that most people don't see because I don't sit still or unmasked very often - and I am deeply, peacefully comforted knowing that Spring, that miraculous harbinger of new life, lurks not far around the corner.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am relieved to hear that you have not reached the point of staring at walls. If you do, however, you will be happy to know the Italian health system will pay for antidepressants for SAD.
Wanna come for a party here on the 20th? We celebrate the longest night of the year, because starting the next day the days grow longer every single day.

8:45 AM  
Blogger tallulah said...

What I would do for a down comforter, a fireplace, a glass of wine and QUIET!

Happy hibernating.....

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the perfect remedy for your SAD. Drive north till you see white capped mountains and SKI BABY SKI...Do not return to the States until you have strapped boards to your feet and experienced those magnificent mountains and sat in front of a lodge fire with a hot alchoholic beverage warming your tush and your tummy.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be lucky you are in a nice farmhouse in the country and not some tiny apartment in a grey, foggy, tree less Milan.
Trying not to be negative..I am probally suffering from this S.A.D. whatever it is too.
Want to trade places?!!!
Hahaha...
Didn't think so!
P.S. Like Judith said, if you are on the national healthcare system you get zoloft, paxil, prozac for free. But not the good stuff like Xanax...hahaha!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home