If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

06 May 2005

Typical nights in the 'hood...

Had dinner last night with the Neighborhood Vigilante, at Café Luna - a wonderful little place tucked into a totally unassuming storefront on P Street, around the corner from the CVS. It never fails to amaze me how many wonderful places like this are scattered through this Dupont Circle neighborhood. I’ve lived 5 blocks away from here for 2 years and still haven’t done even *half* of the worthy things in the area (mostly because I tend to be a creature of habit when I’m home…) Luna should absolutely be commended – the atmosphere is genuine, welcoming, and uncomplicated, and (I'm not kidding!), they have the closest thing to a truly authentic Italian calzone that I’ve had here in DC (my favorite: sausage and artichoke hearts!) Delicious! I would add it to the list of things I'll miss when I'm in Italy, but ... well ... I'd bet that's where the original recipe came from. It's a damn good import: it's all in the dough. Whoever the chef is knows what they're doing!

While we were there, however, there was an almost-ugly incident with one of our ‘housing-challenged’ city residents who was also sobriety-challenged and wandering around the restaurant, pulling bottles of liquor out of his pockets. The gentleman who was hosting was amazingly patient with him (MUCH more than I would have been, but I suspect that's a strategy -- no reason to rile anyone up with patrons packed in tightly ...), but it was still touch-and-go for a minute. I don’t pretend to think that the US (DC specifically) is the only place with a homeless problem, but it is a major challenge here. I wish there was more people could DO, but it's one of those challenges that seems to be left to "the other people," and sadly, those programs go desperately underfunded. I know - you're sitting there nodding your head ... Don't just think about it, click here and do something: www.breadforthecity.org


Was invited for farewell drinks last night at the house of Sparky & Tortola Artista. Should preface this with the fact that Sparky and I serve on a board together, we met a year or so ago, and we just hit it off instantly. He’s got amazing energy and a brilliant smile – just one of those people who makes you feel good when you’re around him. Funny, isn’t it, how some people you just click with instantly, and others are so … much … hard … work... no matter how many years you’ve know them? At any rate, their eagerness for my adventure and their powerful positive vibe was a huge boost to the spirit. And of course, the Veuve didn’t hurt either. Sparky and I are both avowed champagne snobs: the particular belief that Champagne is, indeed, the most perfect drink (GOOD champagne, particularly). Morning, noon, night – you can’t go wrong! Thanks, guys, for the genuine friendship and the hospitality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home