If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

29 June 2005

A cock just crowed.

That's not a bad euphemism. Literally, it's 4:46 am here. And I heard someone's cock crow. Not mine - my farm is cockless (meaning that we are without rooster). Or chickens for that matter. Or, actually, any form of farm animal, except the cats - who would probably be characteristically nonplussed to be thusly categorized.

Anyhow - back to the crowing. Hearing it isn't a good sign ... because that means I'm lying here awake. It's not the heat - it is actually a pleasant, 73 degrees-ish night, pretty much ideal sleeping weather in summer (or at least, as good as I think you can hope for, so you take it when you can get it!) Some people typically are up this time of day - by internal clock or discipline of routine ... Neighborhood Vigilante and The Mom come to mind! ... though any of you who have ever slept with me (and I mean that in the literal 'sharing of a roof' way, not the poorly-configured sexual euphemism,) know that I am NOT - under virtually ALL circumstances - not a morning person. This is a truism in my life.

I remain convinced there are two fundamental kinds of people in life: morning people and not-morning people. Typically, not-morning-people are night people, but this is not always the case. I myself, yes. But definitely not a morning person. Indeed, I can probably count on two hands the number of times that I have actually by choice (or by inability to sleep) seen the sun actually rise. I particularly appreciate having a sunset view house here - which, when the opportunity arises, I will nearly always stop, relax with a cocktail and worship for a moment. Some people say you can "become" a morning person -- I know women with young children who claim this ... I would argue that this then becomes a 'nature vs. nurture' question. Along with soooooo many other things in life, I say you're born one way or the other. Best to find a life that lets you live as you are. So - for me, not-morning-person, I've moved 6 hours ahead of my office in the US so I don't have to be in the office at the crack of dawn each morning. So far, this suits me fabulously - most days, I work about 2 pm - 10 pm here, which are the hours I'm really at peak performance anyhow. Added benefit -- fewer cocktail hours to go to, which also means (heavens, let's hope ...) less of a struggle keeping down those extra cocktail-induced pounds!

Logic and science would dictate that they are fundamentally equal, but it seems to me that sunrise is shorter than sunset. Suddenly, the whole day is bathed in light... before the sun itself is even visible. I suppose one's perspective on this depends on which side of the ridge one lives ... the sun is 'up' for quite some time on the opposite side before it ever peeks over my trees. There's no time for enjoying the early rays, it's as if nature just knocks up the rheostat like a party guest with an errant elbow. Me, on this side of the ridge, I prefer sunset ... you get to SEE and appreciate every moment of it, instead of just guessing what's happening.

It's a beautiful, quiet and cool summer morning. I find, oddly, that I don't miss the city at all, which surprises me a lot, having really always been a city person. I DO miss having things in walking distance - but don't miss the 'buzz' of it. The country has a buzz all its own, but not one made up of freakish people - the bees are already waking up, the early birds are starting to answer back the rooster. The first car just passed by on the road, likely a farmer (who ELSE would be on a rural road at 5am?!?!) It's still and clear here. Looks like a pretty day.

It will be interesting to see what my adjustment is to sleeping back in the buzz of the city next month (and with the morning people Neighborhood Vigilante & Old Soul, eek!) Though that's where my 'heavy sleeper' tendency will also come in handy. As many of you will also attest, I can pretty much sleep through anything... (even when it's only supposed to be a 'disco nap'!)

Hmmmmm. Interesting. As I re-read this, I realize that I'm more pensive, reflective, and dry in the mornings, more witty in the evenings. Thank heavens for all of you that I typically write at night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home