If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

12 February 2006

File under: Things I didn't Know I Missed

Bourbon. REALLY good bourbon, made by people who know them some bourbon. On the rocks. Make it a double.

Fried chicken. And big salads. But the chicken rocks.

Big band swing music and a guy who REALLY knows how to dance.

People who say 'yes, ma'am' and somehow don't make me want to kill them.

A gift of a really swanky black buffalo felt Stetson hat, steam molded to my head with a sassy style by the good folks at Wild Bills. Looks like I was born in it.

Putting on bluejeans and aforementioned hat and two-stepping around a dance floor for hours. (quick, quick, slow ... slow. Quick, quick ... slow, slow.)

Poker. Watching Sparky do us proud taming the mechanical bull.

The 'yeeee-haw'.

Melt-in-your-mouth beef brisket and coleslaw.

TexMex and LoneStar beer.

America is a whole bunch of really different places, but Kentucky and Texas are culinarily and socially about as far from Italy as I can imagine. Yee-haw, baby. Nice places to visit.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Viagg....I'm JUST now reading your blog after several way too intense weeks of work in NY...ARE YOU IN THE STATES???????? I am in NY until Friday but it looks like you are in the South somewhere? I am missing all the fun in Torino, but when I get back will be working SMACK in Medals Plaza at the theatre. If you are here stateside, or by any remarkable chance in NY, and have a moment, e me at lauriesantoliquido@yahoo.it

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, yes, and I am pigging out on Dallas BBQ take-out more nights in a row than I should admit!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viaggiatore - I'm an old friend from elementary school. I ran into The Mom a couple weeks ago and she told me about your site.
I took my first trip to Italy last fall and your early postings remind me so much of my own experiences. Thanks so much for sharing them!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

So what were y'all doin' in Luavul? We're returning to Luavul in late March and will be there for 9 long weeks....Art's having back surgery. Will business take you back there any time soon? We could recommend some places.

Should you ever find yourself in our part of Umbria, let us know....we definitely have some KY bourbon, and I can probably even rustle up a skillet of fried chicken....along with potato salad and cole slaw....or we could just grill us up a mess of BBQ!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there count me in for an ice-cold long-neck Lone Star and for "yeeee-haw"-ing

Ciao
FC

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home