If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

04 November 2006

On New Palettes

I'm pretty well a black and white girl.

Meaning, that's mostly all I wear: Black. And a little white. Nine days out of ten, I'm pretty well head-to-toe in that palette, maybe with one of about 10 varied color scarves thrown in for effect. Even when it's "edgy," black and white is still... pretty basic.

I was emotionally scarred about 8 years ago when, upon wearing a gorgeous olivey brown suit (perfect long pencil skirt, slit up the side), The Old Soul said to me, "you look great in black." My response? "Ummmm, this is brown..." "I know; you look great in black".

Ouch! So, judge for yourself: coincidence or not when my wardrobe became basic black urban chic over time? I was perpetually ready to zip off either to a cocktail party or a funeral. Plus, with my travel schedule, it was just practical: don't mix the palettes, you'll find yourself with the brown shoes and the black belt. So, basic black it was.

Except I'm not on the road so much anymore. That was my old life, "black urban chic traveler".

This week, I turned over a new leaf.

Turns out I needed to buy a new winter coat. And yes, old habits die hard: I gravitated quickly to the black section. After trying on at least 50 options, none spoke to me.

It struck me: maybe I'm not that girl anymore.

It was on a whim that I tried it on at all. Actually, it was probably more a dare than a whim. And as I put it on, the orange 3/4 length wool coat, with flecks of purple and white, I glanced at ShoeChick for a reaction.

"Actually, that looks really good!" She marveled.

Yes, you'd have to see it to believe it, but it's damn sassy, my new orange winter coat. It goes perfectly with my new creamy-caramel colored hair.

A fuzzy chocolate brown scarf and gloves, accompaniments for my perfect mink hat, and a smashing new pair of brown CFM boots complete the outfit. Not a speck of black to be seen.

I look closely at my reflection in the mirror: If I'm not mistaken, there's a new sparkle in my eye. Maybe it's just the reflection of the orange. And then again, maybe it's the freedom of the new palette. The new me, radiating outwards.

Plus, it is hunting season, damnit. And I'm a safety girl.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orange is a highly underused color, and my very very favorite!! Good for you!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger RockerMom said...

OMG, your hair is caramel now??? I bet it looks amazing on you!

2:03 AM  
Blogger tallulah said...

You are so brave! That sparkle in my eye is not there yet. 98% of my wardrobe is still black.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home