If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

05 November 2006

On Laziness

My sassy orange coat and I are feeling like this post-a-day thing is already starting to kick our proverbial ass, and it's only day five. Oh, geez. It's Sunday and even though I spent the morning daydreaming and lollygagging around in bed, I'm still feeling lazy. The cop-out post is "what I ate for dinner"... Italian food is truly SO easy to pull together, the rules being "SIMPLE" and correct proportions. So this one's going out to FieldSalad, my favorite personal chef friend:

And if you're an artichoke heart person, it's pretty darn good. Trust me.

Spaghetti con Carciofi

Two bags of frozen artichoke hearts (defrost and pat dry ... the drier the better. if all you can come by is canned, dry them off and then let them sit for a few hours to dry out.)
6 tablespoons EVOO*
12 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
A dash of peperoncino (crushed red pepper flakes) - "spice" to your taste.
6 oz. SWEET vermouth
1 pound of spaghetti
2 bunches fresh parsley / chopped to yield 1/2 cup
1/4 c cream
Grated parmeggiano: Minimum 1 C. and then more.

Drain artichokes and pat dry. In a large saute pan, heat oil and garlic cloves over medium heat and cook until the garlic is LIGHT golden brown. Add artichokes, peperoncino and vermouth and cook until tender. When the vermouth is almost cooked off, add a ladle of almost-done pasta water to your sauce, with 1/4 C cream. To the saute pan, add spaghetti, drained. Toss liberally over heat until all is well mixed. Add parsley and the cup of grated cheese, toss well. Serve with a heavy-handed drizzle of olive oil and more cheese on top.


Sugar Snap Peas with Walnuts & Basil
1 lb sugar snap peas, stems & strings removed, BLANCHED.
Salt
2 T butter
2 T walnuts, finely chopped.
2 T finely shredded basil leaves
splish of pepper

Mix butter, walnuts, salt & pepper in a skillet; cook until fragrant.
Add in already cooked and blanched peas, saute for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in basil. Squeeze the juice of 1/4 lemon for taste. Serve with a dash of sea salt.

Buon appetito!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try that! It is vastly different from my pasta con carciofi, and there are times I just don't feel like cleaning and slicing all those fresh babies.
But where do you find sugar snap peas here?

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome post. I'm so trying this. Cream and garlic and vermouth? How could this be bad? More food posts, more food posts!!!

4:19 PM  
Blogger RockerMom said...

I've never had vermouth but I love Italian food and the rest of it sounds yummy. Although I may have to cut the recipe in half seeing as there are only three of us and a pound of spaghetti could easily feed eight!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the daily blogs a little treat at the end of the day! LB

1:10 AM  
Blogger tallulah said...

Yummy! I will let you know how they turned out!

Your recipes remind me of a book I am reading right now..."HEAT". It's about Mario Batali.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home